Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A night of Raving - Stark Raving People, that is

Last night was another of those typical nights in Korea.

The Business night-out, the kind you hurry home to dress up for, you abbreviate your swimming session for, the kind you stuff a quick chicken-soup-to-soak-up-the-alcohol-later for...

I was particularly NOT looking forward to this one, because despite my reason for attending being a chance to get a paying writing gig for the first time in a long spell, I just didn't feel it was worth the price of admission: the night out would be with two chain smokers, who seemed to only like talking about different single-malt scotches. (don't get me wrong, I don't mind the occasional sm scotch, but why the hell sit around and talk about them if you aren't drinking them?)

I get to the bar a little late, after a genius taxi driver who seemed to think he would become a millionaire by creeping along slowly and taking the most congested route possible, and walked in, and to my horror was seated between the two chain smokers.

To my relief they had already smoked themselves out, but to make matters a little complicated, one of them, the Korean professor, was already drunk and starting to make a fool of himself...introducing the bar maids as his 'lovely friends' who hadn't yet had their patience worn down by the man.

This was made up for by the delightful discovery of a NORTH KOREAN BEER on the menu - and even more surprising, it tasted great! What the heck? I guess Kim Jong Il's comeuppance of the South finally came through suds....well, I sort of doubt the plebes up north get to drink much of it - like the poor miserable Cubans who have to watch the tourists drink their beer that they can hardly afford, costing like a twentieth of their monthly salary...

Later we ended up at a Sam-Gyup-Sal (thick bacon slab place) restaurant nearby, more soju (sweet potato vodka) and madness, and we ended up at the Canadian professor's house drinking the fabled Ardbec single-malt. Of course, it had gone from a 20 year to a 12 year to a 10 year just in the space of an hour ( I guess people shouldn't be expected to remember how old their alcohol is)...

The stuff had been advertised as 'peaty-tasting' - now that just sounded like nonsense to me - regardless of whether peat had been used in its manufacture, peat is still just glorified mud to me. I swigged the stuff and immediately was hit by a strong smoky....peat flavor....don't ask me how the heck I should know what peat tastes like - I haven't smelled it burning in over 20 years, and I don't think I put any in my mouth then...but it wasn't a bad combination for a whisky.

Unfortunately after several glasses I was left with a distinct liniment-like taste in my mouth. After a few more glasses I think I somehow materialized in my room and it was morning again.

I lost the North Korean Beer bottle, which I was going to scan and present to you here, dear readers...I'll just have to be more careful next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you get the writing job?

El Gringo Perdido said...

well, we'll see...I'm supposed to meet up with Asiana magazine editors this week.