Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Now I know what it was!

Now I know what was so special about yesterday! Not the sudden three inches of snow dumped in March, not the almost two hours I taught (should have been four, but I let them go early as per tradition on the first day). No, none of that.

What was so unique about my day is that I spent half the day going round to two clinics, the first for an examination, the second for a full blown treatment. Nothing too serious, just my back was acting up for the first time in a long time (I got lazy in Laos and didn't do my daily situps), so I went round to Hyungi's office near my neighborhood.

He really fixed me up good - he's one of the only three doctors in the world who have been able to deal with my strange lumbalgia - resulting from a full on car accident in San Francisco many years ago, I was struck by a car while I was on a bike and went high in the air (according to witnesses).

Anyways, he hooked me up to this electric vacuum pump apparatus, something that administers mild fibrillation while holding on to you with its suction cups. For the uninitiated it feels a lot like what being devoured by alien raptor worms must feel like. Or maybe, on a more earthly level, like jumping into a bathtup with a toaster under your arm, while simultaneously jogging through an automated carwash. It certainly challenges your use of metaphor....

I'm fine now. I just have to take it a little easy in prep for the big ski trip this weekend. I even passed up a drinking night with my two barroom buddies in Seoul (sorry guys)

No comments: